Delivering Aggressive, Professional And Effective Legal Representation

Assessing the Value of Unpaid Household Services Post-Accident

by | May 15, 2024 | Personal Injury

After a car crash, things can get pretty tough for those involved. They not only have to deal with getting better physically but also have to think about getting money to pay for medical bills and other things they’ve lost.

The money you can get from an insurance company or in court after a crash depends on a few things. Medical bills make up most of a person’s damages after a crash. Things can become more complicated if someone can’t work because of their injuries. For example, if someone in a family can’t work anymore because of getting hurt in a crash, they might ask for money to make up for the money they would have made over the years.

But it’s not just about money from a job. Some people help out at home without getting paid. If someone can’t do those things anymore because of a crash, it can also affect how much money they can get from the insurance company or in court.

How do you determine the worth of unpaid household services provided by a homemaker?

Sometimes, people don’t realize how important it is to have someone stay home and care for things. They might care for kids, clean the house, manage the family’s schedule, and handle money matters. This helps the other family members focus on their jobs and earn more money. If they can’t do that work anymore, the family might have to change things or hire someone else to help.

Experts say a stay-at-home parent’s work may be worth up to $100,000 annually. Families can figure out how much money someone who got hurt in a crash would have earned at home and ask for the right amount of money after a crash.

Just because someone doesn’t get paid for their work at home doesn’t mean their family should lose out because of a crash. Knowing how much that work is worth can help people ask for the right amount of money after a bad car crash.

The information provided on this page is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a licensed attorney to discuss the facts and circumstances of your case.